Wake up to the smell of baked apples, caramel and cinnamon. Best when made the night ahead, this gluten-free dish is perfect for hosting an allergy-friendly brunch!
Baked Caramel Apple French Toast
- 1 loaf gluten free bread, about 14-16 ounces, torn into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/4 cup flaxmeal + ¾ c. warm water mixed together
- 1 3/4 cup favorite dairy-free milk
- 1 tsp tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- caramel apple topping
- 1/3 cup allergy-friendly margarine, chilled
- 4 caramel apple chewy bars
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 medjool dates, pitted (alternatively use 3 T. packed brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- Put the torn bread into a large bowl.
- In another bowl whisk together the pumpkin puree, flaxmeal and warm water mixture (this is your “egg”), dairy free milk, tapioca starch, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Pour over the bread.
- Using your hands, gently turn the bread to coat every pieces with the pumpkin mixture. Pour into a rectangular baker or a 9×13 glass baking dish.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Make the caramel apple topping by adding all the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and pulsing until it is crumbly. Sprinkle over the bread mixture and then cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve with powdered sugar sprinkle on top and additional maple syrup.
There is no Nutrition Label for this recipe yet.