Employment & Internships
Research & Advocacy Coordinator
Celiac Disease Foundation, the nation’s leading patient advocacy organization for celiac disease, is seeking a dynamic, self-starter to join the National Office Team in Woodland Hills, CA. The Research and Advocacy Coordinator is an entry-level position with programmatic responsibility for the Foundation’s research and federal policy advocacy initiatives. Quarterly travel to Washington, DC is required.
Celiac Disease is one of the world’s most common, genetic autoimmune diseases, affecting 1% of the population. Yet, it is also one of the least diagnosed. If you are passionate about being the change in the world, and love science, politics, and writing for social media and the web, please visit celiac.org to learn more about us.
- Managing Foundation’s iCureCeliac patient registry
- Managing Foundation’s Patient Advocacy Program
- Coordinating Annual National Conference
- Identifying and developing research content for communication vehicles, including email, website, print materials and social media
- Recruiting and overseeing Foundation medical writers
- Identifying, preparing and managing research grant and project opportunities based upon community needs through engagement with Foundation Medical Advisory Board and Research Committee
- Developing strategies to keep community members engaged in research efforts
- Writing, editing, and quality control for research reports/presentations
- Representing Foundation at local and national conferences and meetings
Advocacy responsibilities include:
- Developing issue-oriented advocacy content for communication vehicles, including email, website, print materials and social media
- Regularly reviewing and updating Foundation advocacy priorities based on changing community needs as identified by Board, staff, and community members
- Building and maintaining relationships with elected officials and their staff in key federal agencies, including in-person meetings, conferences, appointment scheduling, written correspondence, etc.
- Building and maintaining strategic partnerships with local, state, and national agencies and coalitions
Other Communications responsibilities include:
- Working with the Foundation’s Development team to coordinate advocacy and research efforts with Foundation’s giving strategies
- Working with the Foundation’s Marketing team to assure advocacy and research efforts conform to Foundation’s brand strategies
- Producing Foundation’s electronic newsletters, website content, and other written materials as needed
- Editing and quality control of Foundation’s overall communications
- Assisting with special projects and providing support to all Foundation activities
- Performing other duties as necessary
Desired Skills & Experience
- Outstanding writing and oral communication skills; ability to multi-task; and attention to detail
- Team player with a sense of humor, collaboration and creativity
- First or second degree relationship to celiac disease or gluten-sensitivity a plus (Do NOT interview unless you have done a deep dive into celiac disease!)
- $48,000 per year with full benefits package including 403(b) match. Bonus and annual salary increase available based upon performance.
Please submit your resume with a cover letter explaining why you are an outstanding fit for this position, and a 500 word writing sample, showing off your excellent writing skills, to email@example.com.
Questions? Call Talia Machlouf, Director of Research and Advocacy, at 818.716.1513, x110.