Turkey Chili and Corn Bread
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans – drained, rinsed and mashed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add turkey; cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion; cook until tender.
Add water, tomatoes, kidney beans, garlic, chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover; simmer 30 minutes. Serve with side of steamed broccoli and fresh cornbread.
- 1 bag Pamela’s Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 3 eggs, large
- 1 cup buttermilk
For a thicker cornbread, as shown in picture, double this recipe
Preheat oven to 375°.
Mix all ingredients together and set aside. Place cast iron or heavy metal skillet in oven to preheat. Carefully spoon 1 tablespoon butter or shortening into hot pan and return to oven until butter melts. Carefully pour batter into hot skillet and return to oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown or inserted toothpick comes out clean.
In a Hurry?
Make chili the night before; reheat in microwave. Substitute baked potato for cornbread.
- 1 pound ground beef or any white fish
- 2 tablespoons all natural taco mix
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces or shredded
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced or chopped
- salt to taste
Brown ground beef or sauté fish in medium frying pan until cooked through. Drain off fat; add 1/2 cup water and 2 tablespoons taco mix. Bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes or until liquid reduces.
While beef is simmering, chop and prep vegetables. Place lettuce into 4 medium size bowls; add beef, tomato and avocado. If desired, add black olives and corn tortilla chips.
Servings: about 32
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garlic, crushed
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ginger, crushed
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach, pressed and drained
- 1 cup Authentic Foods Falafel Mix
In a bowl, combine falafel mix, baking soda, salt, chili pepper, cumin, mustard seeds, turmeric and garam masala. Add hot water, stir well. Gradually add garlic, ginger, onions and spinach. Mix well and let rest for about 5 minutes.
Heat 2 cups oil in deep frying pan. When oil is hot, drop 1 tablespoon mixture into pan; cook 6-8 balls for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove; drain on paper towels. Cooked falafel can be kept warm in oven.
1/2 cup plain lowfat yogurt
1/2 cup lowfat or nonfat sour cream
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
Blend all ingredients in small mixing bowl.
- 1/2 ripe tomato, sliced
- handful basil leaves
- sliced mozzarella
- 2 slices bread*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- panini press or grill pan
Brush 1 tablespoon oil on one side of bread; repeat with other slice. Lay one slice bread oil side down; add layers of basil and tomatoes. Drizzle vinegar over tomatoes; top with sliced mozzarella. Place other slice of bread on top, oil side up.
Cook on hot press until outside of panini is golden brown. If using a grill pan, heat to medium; place sandwich in preheated pan. Using glass casserole dish or large pot, press down on sandwich for about 30 seconds; leave in place until bread is golden brown.
Flip sandwich and repeat. Panini is ready when outside of sandwich is toasted with grill marks and cheese has melted. Serve with tossed salad.
- 1 can (6 ounces) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dill
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 cups spring mix salad greens
- 1 medium tomato, cut into wedges
In a small bowl, combine first eight ingredients. In another bowl, combine mayonnaise and sour cream; stir into tuna mixture. Divide salad greens between two plates. Top with tuna mixture and tomato wedges. Serve with gluten-free crackers** and orange slices.
- gluten-free bread*
- gluten-free turkey
Toast gluten-free bread*; lightly spread mustard onto bread; add remaining ingredients. Serve with baked chips and apple slices.
Quinoa Salad With Asparagus, Sun-Dried Tomato, Feta & Roasted Chicken
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 10 ounce package fresh asparagus
- 6 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, julienne cut
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 ounces roasted chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Rinse and cook quinoa as directed on package. Microwave asparagus as directed on package about 2 minutes. Cut into 1” pieces. Transfer cooked quinoa into large bowl. Add asparagus, tomatoes, feta and chicken breast. Toss with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
* Gluten-Free Bread
- Deanna’s:Multigrain, Whole Grain or Cinnamon Raisin
- Rudi’s: Cinnamon, Multigrain or Original
- Canyon Bakehouse: 7-Grain, Cinnamon, Mountain White or Deli Rye
- Food For Life: Bhutanese Red Rice, Brown Rice, Exotic Black Rice, Rice Millet or Rice Pecan
** Gluten-Free Crackers
- Two Moms and the Raw: Garden Herb, Pesto or Tomato Basil
- Crunchmaster: Sea Salt or Multigrain
- Mary’s Gone Crackers: Herb, Onion, Caraway, Original or Super Seed
- Blue Diamond: Artisan Nut-Thins