Key Diagnostic Findings Include:
- Histopathologic changes in an intestinal biopsy, characterized by crypt hyperplasia, intraepithelial lymphocytosis, and destruction of the surface epithelial lining
- Evidence that the small bowel enteropathy is dependent on gluten shown by positive CD-specific antibodies and/or clinical and/or histologic improvement in response to a gluten-free diet
Serological Tests Can:
- Confirm CD in patients with a demonstrated characteristic enteropathy
- Screen for individuals at risk
- Identify patients in whom biopsy may be warranted.
- Be used to identify gluten consumption during follow-up in diagnosed patients